26 August 2019
PLA NSW/ACT STRATEGIC PLAN WORKING GROUPS
Call for Expressions of Interest
The NSW/ACT Regional Council is seeking expressions of interest from PLA Members to join one of three working groups identified in the PLA NSW/ACT Strategic Plan 2019-2021.
Three working groups have been approved to research and develop outputs in the following areas:
23 August 2019
PLA NSW/ACT held a seminar and tour 'Meeting the Demands of Tomorrow - How to Improve Your Sports Field's Carrying Capacity', on Thursday 22 August at the newly refurbished Gore Hill Park . The day included presentations and talks on natural and synthetic turf, testing and classifying of surfaces and how to increase turf grass durability. The Future Needs Panel discussion included representatives from AFL NSW, Football NSW, Cricket NSW and Centennial Park which ignited great discussion around issues and shared learnings. Finishing the day, Holly Cowdery from Willoughby City Council and Matthew Tancred from Glascott Landscape and Civil discussed and toured the new Gore Hill synthetic oval and park precinct.
6 August 2019
We've all heard that living close-by to green space can improve your physical and mental well being. But what sort of greenspace is best? A recent study by Thomas Astell-Burt, PhD; Xiaoqi Feng, PhD may have the answer. The study of 46,786 adults older than 45 years, found that exposure to 30% or more tree canopy compared with 0% to 9% tree canopy was associated with 31% lower odds of incident psychological distress, whereas exposure to 30% or more grass was associated with 71% higher odds of prevalent psychological distress.
2 August 2019
PLA NSW/ACT recently held at seminar and tour on Bike Riding : Tracks and Trails hosted by Hornsby Shire Council. The day included a presentation on the upcoming Mountain Bike Strategy from the Department of Primary Industry and Environment, Design, construction and the sport was discussed by Mountain Bikes Australia, Darren Stewart from Makin' Tracks spoke about the importance of maintenance and Hornsby Shire Council provided a case study presentation on activation and management of facilities. The attendees were fortunate to be able to view a Hornsby Mountain bike track and also the fabulous facilities and club running of the Castle Hill BMX club.
NSW Mountain Biking Strategy - Update on the current Mountain Bike Strategy
Track and Trail Maintenance
Sport - MTB -Design, Construct, Competitions and the sport
Case Study - Hornsby Shire Council - Activation and management of facilities, working with Council / other land owners
Bushland Operations Coordinator
Site Visit 1 - Hornsby Mountain Bike Track
Site Visit 2 - Castle Hill BMX & The Hills Shire Council
17 June 2019
PLA NSW/ACT want to hear from you!
Due to recent changes, the PLA NSW/ACT Regional Council currently has a vacancy. The Regional Council meets bi-monthly to discuss and develop the NSW/ACT Regions plans. We invited interested parties to submit an expression of interest providing a brief overview of skills relating to the key responsibilities listed below.
1. Elect a National Director to sit as representative for the region on the National Board for a 3 year term.
2. Elect Regional Office Bearers as per constitution
3. To develop and maintain a range of regional services which meet National Board performance levels whilst servicing the regional membership. This is delivered through: Regional Information services; Regional training and professional development opportunities; Networking opportunities; Recognition of Excellence; Regional representation and advocacy; and Membership liaison and retention.
4. To link the membership through a hierarchy of integrated products and services which range from Chapter to Region to National to International level.
5. To administer the Regional Council Finances within the guidelines established through the National Office on Finance.
6. To maintain regular personal contact with the regional membership in order to ensure the range of services provided meet the professional needs of the members.
7. To establish regional representation on committees, boards, advisory panels and the like, in order to raise the status of Parks and Leisure Australia, whilst improving professional opportunities for both members and the overall industry.
8. Ongoing liaison with the Regional Executive Officers/National Office:
• to maintain up-to-date information on National Board initiatives
• to maintain changes in regional membership records.
• inform of intended seminars & events to be held so information can be put onto website
• inform of changes in Regional Council office bearers
• inform/answer new member enquiries
17 June 2019
Denise Ora has been formally appointed as the new Executive Director of NSW's iconic Botanic Gardens & Centennial Parklands (BGCP).
Denise will be leading a remarkable team responsible for over 1,100 hectares of Sydney's prime public parklands and botanic gardens and is the first woman to be appointed as Executive Director to the Royal Botanic Gardens in its 204 year history.
27 May 2019
The 2019 NSW/ACT Award Winners were announced on Thursday 23 May at the National Arboretum Canberra.
16 April 2019
12 December 2018